Want to see what the experts in academic computing think are going to be the most important tools students need to engage with in the next year, three years and five years? The annual Horizon Report will tell you. See the 2008 report here. [We’re engaged in the 2nd item listed, and some of you will be involved in the first.]

4 Comments so far

1.    mdowns on January 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Wow. I didn’t expect it to be that long. I read some of the highlights. I’m looking for Mary Washington to provide mobile broadband to every student. Wouldn’t that be something…

Did you guys read the thing about the UMW email service in the Bullet last week. About taking bids, but not wanting to pay for an email service to students. Google put in a bid, but for some reason it didn’t fly. Most of us use gmail anyway- when is the school going to get with it??

2.    kwuyscik on January 30, 2008 9:52 pm

In response to you, Matt, and the email bids, I’m really upset by what happened. Back during orientation training before the freshman showed up, the DoIT staff was so excited about getting the bids from Google and Microsoft and a few of the other corporations that I was sure something was going to go through. But you’re right, most students on campus do use gmail because it really is so much more convenient, that I don’t understand why the school expected to be able to find a service yet not pay for it. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

3.    Roxanne on February 2, 2008 6:23 pm

Like you Matt, I was surprised at the length of the article. Many aspects of rising technology and tools did not surprise me, but increased utilization of mobile broadband did. I always thought of its applications as short term and its outputs never seemed to be as high quality. (I assume that if the quality was high, the price would be out of sight)
    Yet, it stands to reason that once mobile broadband becomes more affordable that it will be a leader in the industry and in academia.

4.    lmeissne on February 2, 2008 9:08 pm

As previously mentioned by the others, I was surprised by the increased usage of mobile broadband. It was interesting to see how other learning institutions were incorporating its use.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind